Large outdoor fountain in front of Philadelphia skyline during Summer

Liability Insurance Companies in Pennsylvania – Plymouth Rock

With so many different types of coverages available, choosing an auto insurance policy can be a challenge. However, one of the most important types of auto insurance you'll need is liability insurance. In fact, most states like Pennsylvania have minimum requirements in place for liability coverage, so making sure you at least meet your state's minimum is a must to avoid tickets and other penalties. And of course, you may even want to purchase additional liability protection from your insurance company for added peace of mind.

What is Liability Coverage?

Liability coverage is a type of car insurance that is meant to cover not only damage to other vehicles or property involved in an accident besides your own, but expenses related to other peoples' injuries stemming from the accident as well. This type of insurance comes in two forms: bodily injury coverage and property damage coverage.

For example, if you get into an accident where you rear-end another vehicle, your property damage liability protection will cover the costs related to repairing or replacing the other driver's vehicle (up to the dollar amount limit you selected when you bought the coverage). Meanwhile, if the other driver or any of the passengers were injured during the accident, your bodily injury liability protection will kick in and cover related medical and other expenses (including funeral expenses if a death occurs) in accordance with the laws of your state as well as claims for pain and suffering.

Keep in mind that liability coverage does not cover expenses related to your own medical expenses or damage done to your own property.

How Much Do You Need?

The amount of liability protection you need can vary depending on where you live, what type of vehicle you drive, and some other factors. Each state sets its own liability minimum requirements, so you'll want to check with your state laws to determine the minimum amount of coverage you need to purchase. If you drive a financed vehicle, however, you'll most likely be required to carry more than the state minimum by your lender.

Even if you're not required to carry more liability coverage, it's a good idea to purchase as much as you can comfortably afford so that you can enjoy added peace of mind behind the wheel. If you're ever involved in an accident and don't have enough liability coverage to protect yourself, you unfortunately could be sued by the other driver for the remaining costs.

Finding the Best Price on Liability Coverage in PA

Looking for the best value on liability coverage and other auto insurance protection in PA? Your best bet is to shop around with various insurance carriers to find a great deal. As you request quotes from these different carriers, make sure you're comparing quotes with the same amount of coverage for both bodily injury and property damage protection. Some quotes may also include additional coverage that might be required by your state (depending on where you live), such as underinsured/uninsured motorist protection.

Only after comparing similar quotes and taking the time to research each carrier should you make a decision on which policy is best for you. You might also want to consider additional coverage, such as collision and/or comprehensive coverage to protect your own vehicle.

Liability coverage is perhaps the most basic type of auto insurance protection that most drivers in the United States need to carry. By having this coverage, you'll know you have protection when you are at fault in an accident causing property damage and/or bodily injury to others.

Find out more information about uninsured coverage and understanding auto insurance coverage.  You can also read about what to do if your car is stolen and gap insurance quotes.

Call 855-993-4470, get a free quote online or find a local independent agent to learn more about liability insurance companies in Pennsylvania. Visit our contact us page if you’d like to give us a call or send us an email.