A large uprooted tree in front of a home

Understanding the Home Claims Process

If you need to report a claim, click here.

After reporting your claim, we will provide you with your claim number and assign a personal claim representative to contact you by the next business day. Depending on the extent of damage, an adjuster may need to schedule an appointment to inspect your damages. The adjuster will generally be able to schedule an inspection within two business days.

Claim Settlement

We’ll pay to repair or replace your damaged property, subject to the terms and conditions of your policy. We aim to settle your claim as quickly as possible.

If Your Home Is Unlivable

Coverages vary, but most policies provide coverage for additional living expenses when your home is made uninhabitable due to a covered loss. Always save all receipts for any expenses after a loss and your claims representative will discuss your coverage with you.

Read more about how to handle damage to your home.

Use of Contractors

Plymouth Rock may provide emergency contractors for remediation when your own contractor is not available and emergency services are needed. Otherwise, we normally do not refer contractors to do the repairs. We would like you to choose a contractor with whom you feel comfortable. We will work with your chosen contractor to get an agreed price for the repairs.

Estimating Damages

Our adjusters estimate damages based on acceptable construction repair methods and current repair costs in the area where your home is located. Depending on your coverage, we may initially pay the actual cash value (ACV) of an item. If you have replacement cost coverage on your policy, you can submit a claim for the depreciation within 180 days from the date of the loss. Your claims representative will go over this coverage with you.

ACV, Holdback, and Depreciation Explained

Most claims are settled for actual cash value, which is the amount of the replacement cost minus depreciation. Depreciation may also be referred to as a holdback amount. If you have Replacement Cost Coverage, you are entitled to a refund of the depreciation/holdback once the repairs are completed. Your adjuster and claims representative will explain the process and send you a letter outlining what you need to do during the claims settlement process. Generally, your policy requires you to contact us within 180 days from the date of the loss to advise us if you are seeking recovery of your depreciation/holdback. We may require photos, receipts, or re-inspection of the property to confirm the work was completed according to our estimate. Upon confirmation that the repairs are completed, we will release your depreciation/holdback amount.

This is a general description of coverage and not a statement of your contract. Details of coverage or limits vary. All coverage are subject to the terms, provisions, exclusions and conditions in the policy itself and in any endorsements.

Tips to Expedite the Claims Process

  • Report your claim as soon as possible
  • Protect your home and belongings from further damage (save all invoices and repair bills for any emergency service work)
  • Take photos of your damage
  • Preserve all evidence
  • Inventory the items you lost
  • Although not required, you can, of course, get an estimate of the repairs from a trusted contractor
  • If you had a theft loss, file a police report with a list of the stolen items

Damage After the Settlement Check

Due to the nature of some losses, supplemental damage can be expected. Accepting payment for the damages or agreeing to an estimate does not prevent you from any additional monies if more damage is discovered and covered under your policy.

If you experience damage after you have received your initial settlement, please contact your adjuster or claim representative immediately. It’s always a good idea to take photos and contact us before you begin the additional repairs. It is also helpful to request a detailed or itemized estimate from your contractor to help Plymouth Rock determine what is owed for supplemental damage. We may need to revisit the property for a re-inspection.

If you need any additional information about the home claims process, please contact us.