Philadelphia skyline

Full Coverage Auto Insurance in Pennsylvania - Plymouth Rock

You know you need insurance for your vehicle, but there are a lot of coverage options. Full coverage, high deductible, low deductible, and so on. You probably enjoy having options as a consumer, but it’s easier to make choices about your auto insurance when you know how to match an insurance policy with your coverage needs. Determining what type of coverage you need to protect yourself and your family can probably be sorted out more easily than you think. First, let’s take a look at how “full coverage auto insurance" is defined, what it will cover, and then consider whether or not you should have it on your auto policy.

What is “Full Coverage?”

If you’re a Pennsylvania resident, you may have heard the term “full coverage.” This term is sometimes used interchangeably with the term “comp & collision.” Full auto insurance coverage refers to having both comprehensive and collision insurance, which covers physical damage to your car in many scenarios, as opposed to a limited few scenarios. Some people may understand this coverage to go beyond comp and collision, to include towing and rental coverage; however, you should not assume that this is the case when an insurance professional refers to this coverage.

It’s important to make the distinction between coverage that applies to physical damage to your car, on the one hand, and liability protection that applies when you’re at fault in an accident and cause damage to others, on the other. Full auto coverage refers to insurance that offers physical damage protection for your vehicle only. Property Damage Liability insurance, which is a Pennsylvania state requirement, provides coverage for damage to another person’s vehicle, or property, resulting from an auto accident up to the liability limit you purchase. Pennsylvania also requires that you carry Bodily Injury Liability insurance in case you hurt another person in an auto accident.

What does Full Coverage Cover

Now that we have determined that this coverage refers to having insurance protection for physical damage to your vehicle, let’s take a closer look at the two main components offered by insurance carriers to give you a policy that creates a scenario in which you are covered “fully:”

  • Comprehensive Coverage– This insurance protection, also known as “comp,” usually protects your vehicle in non-collision events that cause physical damage to your ride, such as hail, theft or vandalism. Typically, these events occur while your vehicle is stationary, meaning that you’re not actively driving.
  • Collision Coverage– Most insureds will have comprehensive coverage on their vehicle, however, the collision protection is what typically rounds out the “full coverage” policy protection that you might be considering as a driver. Collision protection will generally provide physical damage protection in an event where your vehicle is in motion and strikes another object, such as another vehicle, tree, house, fence, guard rail or telephone pole. Collision may also provide coverage in the event that your vehicle rolls over and sustains physical damage, or if you hit a person.

Should You Have Full Coverage on Your Auto Policy?

Now that you know what this coverage is, and what it covers, the question remains – should you have both comprehensive and collision coverage on your auto policy? Generally speaking, there are four main factors to consider, which should help you determine whether or not full coverage is right for you and your family.

  • Your Financial Situation – Do you have adequate savings to easily replace your vehicle if it were stolen, or deemed a total loss in an accident? What about covering the out of pocket expense to repair damage as a result of vandalism or hail?
  • Accidental Risk – This is an easy factor to assess. How long is your daily commute? If you travel a long distance to and from your place of work, your risk of having an accident naturally rises with your time on the road. Other factors, like the traffic density you encounter on your way to and from work, may come into play as well.
  • Your Zip Code – Living in a highly populated area may increase the risk of theft or vandalism. Also, living in a rural area may include a higher risk of physical damage to your vehicle due to an accident involving wildlife.
  • The Value of Your Vehicle – Perhaps the most obvious consideration is the real value of your ride. Do you drive a high-end late model vehicle, or are you just trying to get a couple hundred miles more out of an old clunker?

Final Thoughts

You know your situation better than anyone else, but it may still prove to be a challenge trying to decide which insurance protection is best. If you have questions, a Plymouth Rock representative will be happy to help you determine which insurance coverage options would be best suited for you and your family.

 Plymouth Rock Assurance is a marketing name used by a group of separate companies that write and manage property and casualty insurance in multiple states. Insurance in Pennsylvania is underwritten by Palisades Insurance Company, Palisades Property and Casualty Insurance Company and High Point Preferred Insurance Company.

Call 855-993-4470, get your free quote online, or find an agent to learn more about full coverage auto insurance in Pennsylvania. Visit our contact us page if you need to call us with additional questions.