Two highway signs on the New Jersey Turnpike.

Auto Insurance Advice for Young Drivers — Plymouth Rock Assurance

As a teenager approaches driving age in New Jersey, it’s important to be educated about insurance requirements. If you’re a parent, make sure you know all the facts regarding training, licensing and requirements to help keep everyone safe and be fully covered.

Driver’s Ed vs. Driver’s Training

Driver’s Ed includes both classroom and online courses that are taught by high schools, colleges and other companies. While requirements vary by state, most programs cover topics like traffic laws, proper spacing while driving and understanding traffic signs. Additionally, some courses combine instructional videos with classroom training and supervised driving. Some states require proof of completing a Driver’s Ed course before applying for a driver’s license. Check with your state’s department of motor vehicles.

Driver’s Training is in-car instruction with a licensed instructor. There are no “classroom” sessions. Instead, the car serves as the classroom and the driver trains on real road conditions. Young drivers take the wheel, while the instructor sits in the passenger seat and supervises.

Regardless of which program you select, in most cases a new driver will be required to log additional hours outside of class with another licensed driver. Typically these hours must be logged before applying for a license. Your state’s local DMV office can provide more details.

Graduated Driver Licensing Program

New Jersey has a graduated driver licensing (GDL) program, which is a three-phase process. Under the learner’s permit phase, a driver is required to practice driving for at least six months with an adult driver before being eligible for a probationary license. Under the probationary license phase, a driver is required to practice unsupervised driving for at least one year before obtaining a basic driver’s license. While your teen has a learner’s permit, he or she is covered by your insurance if driving an insured vehicle.

After your teen has a probationary or basic driver’s license, you will need to add them to the family policy or get a separate one. Often it is more cost effective to add the teen to your auto insurance policy; however, incidents that occur on it may cause your rate to increase.

Adding your teen to your policy or having your teen purchase his or her own car insurance is a personal decision. Of course, we’re happy to offer advice based on your unique needs. Please read more information about being a new driver.

We also offer other types of insurance through our agent relationships and partnerships. Protect the important assets in your life with home insurance and umbrella insurance.

Call 855-993-4470, get your free quote online, or find an agent to see how Plymouth Rock in New Jersey can help with auto advice for younger drivers. If you need additional information it can be found on our Contact Us page.