A burglar picking the lock of a car

If Your Car Is Stolen – Plymouth Rock in New Jersey

If your car is stolen and you need to report a claim to Plymouth Rock, you may do so online.

The FBI estimates that 16,000 cars are stolen each year in New Jersey. If you find yourself in a situation where your car has been taken, it is important to know what to do and what information you need in order to make the entire process of reporting and seeking compensation easier.

Report the Car Stolen to Local Authorities

Contact the local authorities immediately upon noticing that your car was stolen. More than likely, the local police or sheriff's department will send an officer to your location to file a police report. Once a report is taken, the local authorities will often put the information for your car into a state and national database used to track stolen vehicles and help with their potential recovery.

Alert Your Insurance Carrier

After a police report is filed, you must contact your insurance carrier and notify them that your vehicle was stolen. This is an important step because it allows you to take advantage of any services or benefits you may have under your insurance policy.

Information You Will Need

Both the police and your carrier will ask for certain information while you are trying to file your report for a stolen car, including:

•    VIN (vehicle identification number) of the stolen vehicle
•    License plate number
•    Specific information on the car – make, model, year and color
•    Vehicle registration
•    Driver's license information for the owner of the car

It is recommended that you keep this information in a folder at home. In the event your vehicle is stolen, you will have easy access to the information needed to make an accurate police report. Remember, the more information you provide, the easier it is for police to locate your vehicle.

How Does Insurance Help?

The help you receive from your insurance company will depend upon what type of coverage your policy includes. The two main types of insurance you will need for a stolen car include full auto insurance that includes a comprehensive policy and homeowners insurance or renter's insurance.

Comprehensive auto insurance will provide you coverage for your vehicle if it is stolen. Under this coverage, you will receive compensation for your stolen car. The compensation you receive will depend upon whether the car is recovered or not. If the car is recovered, you will receive compensation for the cost of repairs. If the car is not recovered, you will receive compensation – usually fair market value of the car – to help purchase a replacement car.

Neither homeowners nor renter's insurance provides coverage for stolen cars. However, those two types of coverage will help replace items that were inside the car at the time it was stolen.

Call 855-993-4470, get your free quote online, or find an agent to see how we can help you save on car insurance. If you need additional information it can be found on our Contact Us page.