Winter Driving Tips – Plymouth Rock Assurance
Winter driving in the Northeast can be tricky. We see many accidents during winter. Please take a moment to review these winter driving tips to keep you safe:
- Clear snow and ice from all windows and lights
- Know the current road conditions - tune-in to current local traffic reports before leaving home
- Pay attention - remember that the posted speed limits are for dry pavement
- Leave plenty of room for stopping
- Use brakes carefully - break early, brake correctly. It takes more time and distance to stop in adverse conditions.
- Watch for slippery bridge decks - even when the rest of the pavement is in good condition. Bridge decks will ice up sooner
- Don't use your cruise control in wintry conditions
- Don't get overconfident in your 4x4 vehicle - remember that your four-wheel drive vehicle may help you get going quicker than other vehicles but it won't help you stop any faster!
- Do not pump anti-lock brakes - if your car is equipped with anti-lock brakes, do not pump brakes in attempting to stop. The right way is to "stomp and steer!"
- Remember that trucks are heavier than cars - trucks take longer to safely respond and come to a complete stop, so avoid cutting quickly in front of them
- Go slow!
Call 855-993-4470, get your free quote online, or find a local agent. If you need additional information about winter driving safety, you can visit our Contact Us page.