Last updated on May 16, 2017 at 02:41 pm
April 19 is National Garlic Day. This “stinking rose” has a long gastronomical history dating back over 7,000 years and has been part of the diet of a wide variety of cultures. Probably most famous for being a staple of Mediterranean cuisine, this herb (or vegetable) has been used across the globe in dishes. Garlic was even fed to the workers of the great pyramids because it was believed to boost their stamina. Works for them, works for me. Here are seven fantastic reasons for you to eat more garlic today!
- Help stop hair loss. That’s right men, instead of shelling out for Rogaine, try some garlic. Due to a high level of allicin, which has been effective in treating hair loss, our pungent friend can help slow down that receding hairline. The downside is you have to rub sliced cloves into your scalp.
- Pimple punishing power and it tastes great. Since garlic has a high level of antioxidants, it has been shown as an effective way to fight acne. Rub another sliced clove on that pesky pimple and you are good to go.
- Mosquitos find garlic to be a total turn-off. There is no decisive scientific reason, but researchers have found that mosquitos are not fans of garlic. You can leave open cloves around you or try a concoction of garlic oil, petroleum jelly, and beeswax to rub on your skin.
- I once caught a fish “this big” with garlic. Fishermen swear by the stuff. You can even buy bait with garlic scent, but your best bet is to make your own. Just make sure you add plenty of cloves to keep those fish biting all day.
- Your heart is really in it, seriously. Studies have shown that a diet with garlic can help combat high cholesterol, high blood pressure, artery hardening, and coronary disease. So what are you waiting for? Start adding more garlic to your diet! But as always, check with your doctor before making any serious changes.
- It gets two thumbs up from your liver. Eating garlic triggers your liver to release toxins from the body, while also providing antioxidants to help keep your vital organs strong, including the lungs and stomach.. Now you have even more reasons for garlic breath!
- Give yourself a boost, literally. Garlic is a great source of Vitamin B6, which is essential for a healthy immune system. Bonus: B6 helps with mood swings. Double bonus: garlic is packed with Vitamin C, you know, in case you get scurvy while on the high seas.
Well there you go, seven amazing reasons garlic should always be part of your daily diet. What are your favorite garlic recipes? Leave a comment and let Plymouth Rock Assurance hear all about it!
Click here for more information about insurance in your state.