Last updated on February 6, 2018 at 09:11 am
With all the hustle and bustle of daily life, it’s easy to forget how much simple acts of kindness can affect others. Have you ever had the car in front of you pay your toll (back in the day when e-z pass didn’t exist) or the person in front of you pay for your coffee? Those are random acts of kindness. You never know how much something like this, or even a smile, can change someone else’s day. While we’re still hibernating and fighting the winter blues, try these random acts of kindness today to brighten not only someone else’s day, but also your own.
- Clean the snow off the car for your friend. Wouldn’t it be nice to leave your house or apartment and see that your car has already been cleaned? Why not try it for a friend?
- Pay for coffee for the person in line behind you. This is always a fan favorite. Start the morning off right and pay for someone’s coffee.
- Leave $1 taped to the vending machine at work along with a note. Free 3pm pick-me-up? You’ll make someone’s day.
- If you’re out with friends or roommates, offer to pay for a cab or rideshare home. If you’re all going back to your place and you’re a Plymouth Rock auto insurance customer, you can even take advantage of the Get Home Safe program.
- Give up your seat on the bus/train. While it’s always nice to give up your seat for an elderly person or a pregnant woman, try giving up your seat when you see someone who is carrying a lot of bags or just looks like they’ve had a long day and could really use a seat for their commute home.
- Compliment someone to their boss. Know a coworker who’s been working really hard and deserves some recognition? Let their boss know.
- Overtip your waiter, waitress or bartender. You can also consider leaving them a nice note that you appreciated their service.
- Donate clothes or food. Is your closet busting at the seams? Haven’t opened any of those canned items in your pantry? Donate those items for others who are in need.
- Bring in snacks for your co-workers — om, nom, nom nom. Who doesn’t enjoy the occasional surprise bagel, donut(s), piece of fruit or other snack?
There are plenty of ways to exhibit random acts of kindness. Try one today and know you’re making someone else’s day. Let us know what else to try by leaving a comment! And, since we’re in the middle of a long, gray winter, click here for ways to brighten your own day.