Rock Talk

How to Obtain or Replace Your Car’s Title

Last updated on November 6, 2019 at 10:47 am

Do you know where the title to your car is? If not you are in the right place. Check out these steps on how to obtain or replace your car’s title.

Your title represents legal proof of ownership of your vehicle. If you’re currently making payments on your car and you live in New Jersey, then your title is likely held by your lienholder. The lienholder will provide you with documentation to transfer the title to your name when the lien is paid off. When you have the title to your vehicle, it is important to keep it in a safe place, as it is required in case you need to complete a title transfer, which is required when selling a car, when donating a car, when changing a name, and certain other situations.

It is generally inadvisable to keep your title in your glove box since you don’t need it when you drive and it could be dangerous in the hands of a thief. Hopefully, your title is filed safely in your home. But, if that is not the case, follow these steps to obtain or replace your car’s title.

If you’ve lost your title and have proof of ownership:

  • Complete New Jersey’s Application for Duplicate Certificate of Ownership.
  • Submit your application along with your current or expired registration or proof of insurance and the $60 fee at an MVC agency or via mail to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Services
PO Box 017
Trenton, New Jersey 08666-0017

If you’ve lost your title and do not have proof of ownership:

  • Submit required documents and the $60 fee via mail to:

New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
Special Titles Section/Duplicate Titles
PO Box 017
Trenton, NJ 08666-0017

If you need to replace a damaged title:

  • Submit the original title; a written request detailing the reason for the damage, the name and address of the owner(s), and the vehicle details (year, make, model, and VIN); and the $60 fee at an MVC agency or via mail to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Database Correction Unit
PO Box 141
225 E. State Street
Trenton, NJ 08666-0141

If you are removing a lien:

  • If your vehicle is four years old or less, you will need to submit both of the following items. If your vehicle is five years old or more, you will need to submit only one of the following items.
    • A statement detailing the lien release and vehicle details (year, make, model, and VIN) on your lending institution’s letterhead.
    • The original certificate of title marked “Paid” with the lending institution’s stamp or a signature from an authorized representative of the lending institution. If this item is not available for a vehicle five years old or more and the other documents referenced are available, a new title can be printed for the owner or authorized representative without an application (but with applicable fees).
  • If your vehicle is four years old or less and has a value greater than $50,000 according to Kelley Blue Book or NADA, additional documentation may be required.
  • Mail your required documentation to:

Motor Vehicle Commission
Title Records Unit
PO Box 155
225 East State Street
Trenton, NJ 08666-0155

Do you have any tips for keeping your title safe and secure?  The team at Plymouth Rock in New Jersey wants to hear about them in the comments below!