Last updated on October 4, 2019 at 01:43 pm
Before the snow arrives in a few months, there’s one place I can’t recommend enough: the Delsea Drive-In Theatre in Vineland, NJ. I’m a huge fan of drive-in movie theatres and hopefully you will be too (if you aren’t already) after considering these reasons why seeing a movie at a drive-in theatre is the best thing ever:
- Come as you are. I’m in love with my pajamas, and with a drive-in theatre, I can wear my jammies and bring my slippers to change into if I wanted!
- Enjoy personal space. My biggest pet peeve when seeing a movie in a regular theatre is a kid behind me kicking my seat throughout a film. At a drive-in, you’re in your car. I’d like to see a kid try to kick my seat then.
- Get some fresh air. When the weather permits, it’s great to lay out blankets and lawn chairs to watch a movie on the big screen with lightning bugs or the smell of autumn in the air around you.
- Fun for the whole family. If you’ve got small children, you don’t have to worry about their behavior as much as you would at an indoor theatre. Is little Timmy antsy? Let him run around and play during the movie, within reason of course. Burning off energy is fine, but I draw the line at miniature screaming banshee.-like screaming to a minimum.
- Even cheapskates will have fun. I’m a serious cheapskate and I’m proud of it. That’s why I really love drive-in theatres. Most offer double features and the Delsea Drive-In sometimes even has TRIPLE features. That means for about $10 per person you could see at least two movies.
Are you on the drive-in theatre fan train yet? I sure hope so. Because the Delsea Drive-In Theatre is the last drive-in theatre in New Jersey. There used to be hundreds of them, but they’ve all died out thanks to modern theatres taking over. In a way, such theatres are a bit like Dr. Seuss’s Truffula trees: there’s only one left. And I guess that must make me the Lorax. So insert some witty and insightful rhyme here, grab an FM radio, and go check out what’s now playing at the Delsea Drive-In!
If you’ve got more questions, great! The Delsea Drive-In has a good FAQ page with more information. Have you been there? Or have you been to other drive-in theatres? Plymouth Rock Assurance would love to hear about it!