Last updated on September 25, 2018 at 02:26 pm
Now that the 2018 football season is here, it’s time to dust off the portable grill, clean out the cooler, and pack up the paper plates. Whatever team you’re rooting for, these fan-approved tips will help you plan an epic event while safely enjoying the fun.
- Plan ahead. Check out the stadium’s website for tailgating rules and regulations, and write a checklist of items you’ll need. This will alleviate any last-minute scrambling or forgetting important items.
- Prep and cook as much as possible beforehand. Dips, salads, side dishes, and desserts can all be prepared in advance. If you’re making kebabs, skewer and marinate them the night before. All you’ll need to do when you get to the game is fire up the grill!
- Keep a box of tailgating essentials in your car. This includes cooking utensils, skewers, a lighter, tinfoil, toothpicks, duct tape, a bottle opener, a can opener, a corkscrew, sunscreen, bug spray, ponchos, trash bags, napkins, paper towels, and wet wipes or hand sanitizer. If you’re grilling, the most important tool to have on hand is a fire extinguisher, in case of an emergency. And don’t forget a football!
- Be prepared. When making room in your trunk, don’t remove the jumper cables … because you never know!
- Pack light. When you bring compact, lightweight tents, folding tables, and chairs, you’ll have more room to load up your friends!
- Label your coolers. Allow guests to easily find their favorite drinks and snacks.
- Keep bugs at bay. For bug-free beverages, use cupcake liners as lids. Before game day, poke holes through the centers for straws. Bonus points for using your team’s colors!
- Make cleanup a breeze. A pop-up hamper makes a perfectly portable garbage bin. Just pop in a trash bag!
- Practice Fire Safety 101. Most stadiums don’t allow burning material to be left unattended. If you’re using a charcoal grill, be sure to let the coals cool completely before putting them in a garbage container or back in your car.
- Optimize space and efficiency. Freeze water bottles to use in place of ice in coolers, giving you cold water to drink after they melt. Hydration is key!
- Most importantly, make sure you and your guests get home safely. If you’ve had a little too much game-day fun, remember that Plymouth Rock Assurance will cover our customers’ one-time one-way cab fare or rideshare home with Get Home Safe®.
Do you have any other tailgating tips you swear by? Let us know by leaving a comment or tweeting us!