Understanding Connecticut Car Insurance Requirements

Woman reading about ct car insurance requirements on laptop

At Plymouth Rock, we do more than just help drivers get car insurance. Anybody can do that; we want to help you pick the right policy with the right coverage. Here are general descriptions of basic car insurance concepts, and the minimum Connecticut insurance requirements.

Minimum Required Car Insurance Coverage in CT

In Connecticut, your car insurance must have the following coverages at these limits:

CoverageMinimum Limits
Bodily Injury Liability$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
Property Damage Liability$25,000 per accident
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident

Bodily Injury Liability covers claims others file against you or a household member for injuries you cause in an accident. The minimum limit in Connecticut is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.

Property Damage Liability pays for damages to another person’s property when you or a household member cause an accident. Usually, this will be another person’s vehicle. The minimum limit for property damage liability in Connecticut is $25,000 per accident.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorists (UM/UIM) coverage protects you, your passengers and family members when injured by a driver without insurance, or with limits that don’t fully cover the injuries you sustain. It also covers injuries you sustain when hit by an unknown driver, as in the case of a hit-and-run. The minimum limits for UM/UIM coverage are $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.

Usually, your UM/UIM limit will be equal to your bodily injury liability limit. You can also purchase more coverage, up to double your bodily injury liability limit.

Additional Coverages to Consider

When you come to Plymouth Rock for your Connecticut car insurance needs, you’ll have additional coverage options to choose from. While these coverages are not part of the Connecticut car insurance requirements, they offer more protection. Here are just a few of the more common optional coverages our customers in Connecticut buy:

Collision coverage helps pay to repair or replace your car after a collision with another vehicle or stationary object. Collision only covers damage to your car or someone else’s car that you are operating with permission.

Comprehensive coverage helps pay for damage to your car in situations NOT related to a collision. This includes natural disasters and storms, fire, vandalism, damages caused by hitting an animal and more.

Underinsured Motorist Conversion coverage helps pay for injuries beyond your own UM/UIM coverage limit. With conversion coverage, you’re able to collect up to your UIM limit in addition to the other driver’s coverage.

Gap insurance helps protect you from having to make payments on a totaled car while you still owe money on a loan or lease. It helps pay for the “gap” between your car’s current value and how much you paid for it.

Deciding on Car Insurance Limits

Carrying just the minimum coverage limits set by Connecticut car insurance requirements means in the unfortunate event of an accident, your insurance coverage may not be adequate to cover all of the expenses. That’s why it’s important to carry more than the minimum required coverage.

Choosing Your Deductible

Your deductible is how much you need to pay before your insurance kicks in. A higher deductible can mean lower rates, but you’ll need to pay more out-of-pocket for a claim. The right deductible for you depends on how much you’re comfortable paying out-of-pocket.

Still have questions about car insurance in Connecticut? Give us a call and one of our insurance experts will help guide you through what coverage is best for you.

Now Let’s Talk About You
Do you have the right coverage for your vehicle? We’d love to chat with you about it. Call us at 855-993-4470 or speak to a local agent.

If you’d rather not talk, you can get a quote quickly and easily online. Just enter your ZIP code to get started and see how much you could save!