Is CT a No Fault State?

Young woman after an accident in the non no fault state Connecticut

If you get into an accident as a Connecticut resident, who pays for the injuries? Is Connecticut a no fault state? Here’s everything you need to know about fault in Connecticut.

What is “No Fault”?

In a no fault state, drivers go first to their own insurance policies to get compensation for injuries suffered in an accident, no matter who was at fault. No fault states typically also have some limit on how an injured party can sue.

Is Connecticut a No Fault State?

Connecticut is not a “no fault state”. A driver injured because of another driver’s negligence can collect payment for injuries from the at fault driver’s insurance.

Coverage for your own injuries are not required in Connecticut, but may be purchased as part of your policy. Medical Payments coverage (MedPay) helps pay for your own medical expenses resulting from an accident, no matter who was at fault.

How do Claims Work?

If you get into an accident, which insurance company you file a claim with depends on what kinds of coverage you have.

If you carry coverages like MedPay or collision, you should file a claim with your own insurance company first. These can help pay for your own injuries and damages, even if you were found to be at fault for the accident.

If you don’t have coverage for your own expenses, you’ll need to file a claim with the other driver’s insurance to get compensation for medical expenses and repairs if you were not at fault for the accident.

Connecticut uses a comparative negligence system. The amount of money a driver can recover is reduced by their share of the fault in an accident. If you’re found to be over 50% at fault for an accident, you won’t be able to recover anything from the other driver’s insurance.

For example, if you get into an accident and it’s determined you were 20% at fault, the other driver will be responsible for paying 80% of your expenses. In other words, the amount of money you can receive is reduced by your share of the fault.

Filing a claim can be stressful, but Plymouth Rock makes it easy. We send you all the documents and forms you need. Our friendly specialists and skilled adjusters will guide you every step of the way and make sure you’re taken care of.

What Does Insurance Cover in Connecticut?

In Connecticut, a car insurance policy is required to have the following coverages at these limits:

Required CoverageMinimum Limit
Bodily Injury Liability$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
Property Damage Liability$25,000 per accident
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident

Liability coverage pays for injuries and damages you cause in an accident, but does not cover your own expenses. That’s why it’s important to carry more coverage for yourself, like MedPay and collision. This way, no matter who was at fault for the accident, your own expenses can be covered.

MedPay is an optional coverage in Connecticut that helps pay for reasonable medical and funeral expenses you or members of your household family incur as a result of an accident.

Collision coverage helps pay to repair or replace your car after a collision with another vehicle or stationary object. Collision covers damage to your car or someone else’s car that you are using with permission.

Now Let’s Talk About You
Do you have the right coverage for your vehicle? We’d love to chat with you about it. Call us at 855-993-4470 or speak to a local agent.

If you’d rather not talk, you can get a quote quickly and easily online. Just enter your ZIP code to get started and see how much you could save!