How to Get Car Insurance in Connecticut

Cars with insurance on a Connecticut street

How to Get Car Insurance in Connecticut

From Hartford to New Haven, you can count on Plymouth Rock to protect you on the road. Here’s how to get car insurance in Connecticut.

Getting great car insurance for a great price shouldn’t be hard. That’s why Plymouth Rock makes it easy for you to get a fast quote online and over the phone.

Before you call or go online to get your quote, be sure to have the following information handy:

  • Email address
  • Birth date
  • Address
  • Phone number
  • Vehicle Identification Number (VIN)

Whether you call or use our convenient online form, we’ll guide you through from start to finish. We’ll help find the right coverage for you and what CT discounts you qualify for.

How Much Insurance is Right for You?

Having the minimum coverage means you’ll get just that: the minimum. This means premiums are less expensive, but you may pay more out of pocket in the unfortunate event of an accident. When you buy your policy, you can choose your limits and optional coverages to best protect you and your assets.

Any company can give you an attractive price on auto insurance in Connecticut. It’s more important to make sure you’re getting the coverage and service you need. 

The right amount of coverage is different for each person. Our friendly insurance experts can help you figure out what’s right for you and your situation. We offer great coverage at even better prices, along with our excellent customer care and unique benefits.

Connecticut State Requirements

If you own a vehicle in Connecticut, you’re legally required to have auto insurance for it. You’re required to carry these coverages at the following limits:

Required CoverageMinimum Limits
Bodily Injury Liability$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident
Property Damage Liability$25,000 per accident
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist$25,000 per person / $50,000 per accident

Bodily Injury Liability Coverage

This protects you if you’re liable for injuring someone in a car accident. This coverage can help pay for the injured party’s medical expenses, lost wages and pain and suffering. It may also help pay your expenses in a related lawsuit. You need at least $25,000 of coverage per person and $50,000 per accident in CT.

Property Damage Liability Coverage

This protects you if you are liable for damaging someone else’s property in a car accident. This coverage helps reimburse another person for their damaged property (such as a car or a building). It also helps pay your expenses in the event of a related lawsuit. There’s a minimum limit of $25,000 per accident for CT insurance policies.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM)

This coverage helps pay medical costs and other related expenses when you or one of your passengers is injured in an accident caused by a driver who doesn’t have insurance or has insufficient insurance. It also covers unidentified drivers, as in the case of hit-and-run accidents. The minimum limit for UM/UIM coverage is $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident. UM/UIM coverage does not pay for physical damage to your car, but your optional collision coverage will.

Recommended Insurance Coverage in CT

When you come to Plymouth Rock for your car insurance needs in CT, you’ll have some additional coverages to choose from. While not required, these recommended coverages offer more protection for you and your vehicle. Here are just a few of the optional coverages our customers in Connecticut purchase:

Collision coverage helps pay to repair or replace your car after a collision with another vehicle or stationary object. Collision only covers damage to your car or someone else’s car that you are using with permission.

Comprehensive coverage helps pay for damage to your car in situations NOT related to a collision. This includes natural disasters, fire, theft, vandalism, damage caused by hitting an animal and more.

Underinsured motorist conversion coverage helps pay for injuries beyond your own uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage. Normally, your insurance will only pay for injuries up to your own UM/UIM limit. With conversion coverage, you can collect up to your limit in addition to the other driver’s liability limit.

Let’s say your UM/UIM coverage limit is $50,000. You were involved in an accident with an at-fault driver who only had $25,000 of liability coverage, and you suffered $75,000 worth of injuries. Without conversion coverage, you can only collect up to your limit of $50,000. With conversion coverage, you can stack your $50,000 coverage and the other driver’s $25,000 coverage to collect up to $75,000.

Now Let’s Talk About You
Do you have the right coverage for your vehicle? We’d love to chat with you about it. Call us at 855-993-4470 or speak to a local agent.

If you’d rather not talk, you can get a quote quickly and easily online. Just enter your ZIP code to get started and see how much you could save!

The information on this page is for educational purposes only. Actual coverage is subject to the language of the policy. Certain restrictions and limitations may apply.