pipe bursting shooting out water

Utility Service Line Coverage

Plymouth Rock’s Utility Service Line Coverage* provides payment if physical damage results in a leak, break, tear, rupture, collapse or arcing of a covered utility service line leading to your home. This coverage is not available on condo or renters insurance policies.

Why You Need Utility Service Line Coverage

Most homeowners aren’t aware that they’re responsible for the exterior underground pipes and lines that bring critical services into their home from outside the structure. These are called utility service lines, and include drainage pipes, sewer lines and cable lines.

Unfortunately, utility service line failure isn’t covered by most homeowner insurance policies.

What You’re Covered For

If you add Utility Service Line Coverage to your existing homeowners policy, and an exterior underground service line is damaged, we'll pay for the following:

  • Damages to covered utility service lines
  • Excavation costs
  • Expenses from expediting repairs
  • Living expenses during repairs (e.g., if you need to stay at a hotel)
  • Damages to outdoor property

Types of Covered Service Lines

There are many types of exterior underground lines that bring services into your home. Your coverage will pay for damage to the following types:

  • Electric power
  • Drainage
  • Fuel
  • Water
  • Communication and data transmission (i.e., telephone, cable transmission, etc.)
  • Waste disposal
  • Compressed air
  • Heat pump piping
  • Sewer

Types of Covered Damage

With Utility Service Line Coverage, you’ll be protected against the following types of damage to your service lines:

  • Wear and tear
  • Rust or corrosion
  • Mechanical breakdown
  • Collapse from aboveground weight
  • Vermin, insect, rodents or other animals
  • Artificially generated electric current
  • Freezing or frost heave
  • External force from excavation
  • Tree or other root invasion

* This coverage is backed by The Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company.

** In MA, this coverage is offered exclusively through independent agents.

Plymouth Rock Assurance® and Plymouth Rock® are brand names and service marks used by separate companies that write and manage property and casualty insurance in multiple states pursuant to licensing arrangements. Each company is a separate legal entity that is financially responsible only for its own insurance products. Actual coverage is subject to the language of the policies as issued by each separate company. Some discounts, coverages, payment plans, features, and benefits are not available in all states. To view all state licensed insurance companies, click States Licensed & Disclaimers.