Home Utility Service Line Coverage

Home Utility Service Line Coverage

What Is Utility Service Line Coverage

Utility Service Line Coverage* provides payment if physical damage results in a leak, break, tear, rupture, collapse or arcing of a covered utility service line leading to your home. Not available on condo or renters insurance policies.

Here’s why this coverage is important:

As a homeowner, you’re responsible for the exterior underground pipes and lines that bring critical services into your home from outside the structure.
Drainage pipes, sewer lines and cable lines are all susceptible to being damaged by wear and tear and other causes.
Utility service line failure isn’t covered by most homeowner insurance policies.

What You’re Covered For

If you add Utility Service Line Coverage to your existing homeowners policy, and an exterior underground service line is damaged, we’ll pay for the following:

  • Damages to covered utility service lines
  • Excavation costs
  • Expenses from expediting repairs
  • Living expenses during repairs (e.g., if you need to stay at a hotel)
  • Damages to outdoor property
Types of Covered Service Lines
There are many types of exterior underground lines that bring services into your home. Your coverage will pay for damage to the following types:
  • Electric power
  • Drainage
  • Fuel
  • Water
  • Waste disposal
  • Compressed air
  • Heat pump piping
  • Sewer
  • Communication and data transmission (i.e., telephone, cable transmission, etc.)
Types of Covered Damage
With Utility Service Line Coverage, you’ll be protected against the following types of damage to your service lines:
  • Wear and tear
  • Rust or corrosion
  • Mechanical breakdown
  • Collapse from above-ground weight
  • Vermin, insects, rodents or other animals
  • Artificially generated electric current
  • Freezing or frost heave
  • External force from excavation
  • Tree or other root invasion

How to Purchase Utility Service Line Coverage

To add this to your policy:

  • Call your agent. Because they work and live in your community, they can provide expert guidance on coverage needs.
  • Don’t have an agent? Call us at 833-857-5848.

* This coverage is backed by The Hartford Steam Boiler Inspection and Insurance Company.