Prepping your home for winter weather is a necessary part of being a homeowner. You’ll save money on energy bills and hopefully save on future repairs too. This is a winter home maintenance list you’ll want to check twice.
Top 10 Checklist
Keep your home in prime condition with these important winter home maintenance tasks:
- Prevent ice dams from forming on your roof after a snowstorm. Follow these tips.
- Keep your water pipes from freezing and bursting during harsh temperatures. Learn how.
- Make sure your attic and basement are properly insulated. This will eliminate drafts and cut energy costs.
- Check the basement for water leaks during thaws.
- Remove air conditioner window units.
- Make sure outdoor steps and handrails are safe and secure.
- Keep walking paths clear of snow and ice. Use pet- and child-safe ice melt or sand to provide traction.
- Test your sump pump by slowly pouring water into the pit.
- Tighten the connections on your outdoor holiday light displays. Confirm that they’re labeled for outdoor use only.
- Clean your dryer hose and lint filter. Clogged hoses and filters pose a serious fire hazard.
Some of the tasks discussed on this page are potentially dangerous. When in doubt, your best option is to hire a professional.
The above content is for general informational purposes only and does not replace or modify any provisions, limitations or exclusions contained in any insurance policy. Links to third-party websites are provided as a convenience and are for informational purposes only; they do not constitute an endorsement of any products, services or opinions contained therein. Plymouth Rock is not responsible for the accuracy or completeness of the content on these sites.