Last updated on May 22nd, 2018 at 03:57 pm
Before on-demand music streams that you beam from your smartphone directly into your car’s infotainment system, there were mix tapes. Mix tapes that you carefully curated by listening to the radio. Maybe you even had one in your portable tape player — or if you were lucky enough to have one (and the ability to burn CDs), a portable CD player!
Regardless of how you heard them, if you were alive in the 90s there’s a good chance that one (or definitely all) of these songs wormed their way into your brain during the summertime.
Yes, Kiss from a Rose played every day on the radio, multiple times a day for weeks. When it came on someone’s beach boombox, you probably started subconsciously singing along while you lounged under your umbrella.
Each one of these songs reached #1 on the music charts during summertime in the 90s — some for just a week, some for much, much longer.
But, it has been almost 30 years since the first song reached #1 and 18 years since the last one got there. Enough time has passed that these beauties are ready to see the summer sun once again. Here are 16 of the best summer songs from the 90s.
Just to be clear — we’re just looking at what topped the music charts during in the summers. We can’t control music trends.
Click here for the Spotify playlist (login required)
- Hold On, Wilson Phillips, 1990
- It Must Have Been Love, Roxette, 1990
- Step by Step, New Kids on the Block, 1990
- Unbelievable, EMF, 1991
- Everything I Do for You, Bryan Adams, 1991
- End of the Road, Boyz II Men, 1992
- Can’t Help Falling in Love, UB40, 1993
- I swear, All-4-One, 1994
- Kiss From a Rose, Seal, 1995
- Waterfalls, TLC, 1995
- Killing Me Softly, Fugees, 1996
- MMM Bop, Hansen, 1997
- The Boy is Mine, Brandy and Monica, 1998
- If You Had My Love, Jennifer Lopez, 1999
- Bills, Bills, Bills, Destiny’s Child, 1999
- Genie in a Bottle, Christina Aguleria, 1999
There are certainly many, many other summer songs from the 90s that defined your time in the sun. What other music would you add to your best summer songs from the 90s playlist? Leave a comment to let us know!